In making a painting, the search for emotional connection is of primary interest to Kay.
"I consider myself a process artist. I experiment directly on the surface, discovering a relationship with the paint and what the images that emerge are trying to tell me. The process is intuitive and exploratory. It takes many sessions to wrestle with the piece to make it my own. I find the layers of painting history interesting and part of the journey. Currently, I am exploring my perception of memory and how the current political and social upheaval affects that perception. I am also interested in personal and collective change and how the turmoil of transition can lead us to new ways of perceiving the world and ourselves."
Kay’s work is shown extensively in juried and international exhibits, and it is part of collections in the United States, Canada and Germany. A selected painting was exhibited by the US State Department and hung in the US Embassy in Thailand. Kay currently exhibits her work in Portland, Oregon. Her work can be viewed at www.kaydanley.com. as well as on Facebook and by appointment at her studio at N.W. Marine Artworks in Portland, Oregon.
- Painting selected by the U.S. State Department for the United States Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand. 1998-2002 (Artists in Embassies Program)
- Art in the Community: Beaverton Arts Commission Visual Arts Award for Excellence in Education, June, 2000
- Artist in Residence: Beaverton School District, 1994
- Artist in Residence: Portland Public Schools, 1994
- The Designer's Sourcebook 2 Publisher: The Guild, 1996
- Fibre Arts Design Book 5 (Contemporary Textile Art): Edited by Ann Batchelder and Nancy Orban, 1995, Lark Books: painting pictured on page 35
- Kay Henning Danley, restropective look at paintings, drawings, and mixed media of the previous 20 years), 2017 available through Blurb Books, click on the link below: http://www.blurb.com/b/7845025-kay-henning-danley (please note that this book goes on sale periodically for 1/2 price)
- Au Naturel: International juried show for figure painters: Curator, Laura Russo: Clatsop Community College, Astoria, Oregon, 2010
- Life in Action: group show: Gresham City Hall, Gresham Oregon, 2013-14
- Momentum: group show: The Bridge City Artists: Stonehenge Studios, Portland, Oregon May, 2014
- Remax Benefit Juried Exhibit: Portland, Oregon Fall, 2014
- Au Naturel: International Juried show for figure painters, Curator, Barbara Shaiman: Clatsop Community College, Astoria, Oregon, 2015
- Nudes Downtown: River Sea Gallery, Astoria, Oregon, 2015
- S.E. Portland Artwalk, The Ford Building, studio 234, Portland, Oregon, 2015
- "Convergence": group show, The Bridge City Artists, Stonehenge Studios, Portland, Oregon, October 2015
- "Winter Show", the Ford Gallery Artists group show: The Ford Building, Portland, Oregon, 2016
- The Third Annual Living Mark Exhibition, an international juried show at the Verum Ultimum Gallery, 2016, 6-8 p.m. 3014 NE Ainsworth, Portland, Oregon
- Hood to Coast, Landscapes of Oregon, Mel's Frame Shop, 2016, Portland, Oregon
- Bridge Cityrtists Juried Group Show, Village Gallery and Frame, 2016, Portland, Oregon
- Piercing the Veil: Chasing Ghosts, an international juried exhibit, Verum Ultimum Gallery, 2016, Portland, Oregon
- S.E. Portland Artwalk, The Ford Building, studio 234, Portland, Oregon, 2017
- The Fourth Annual Living Mark Exhibition, international juried group show, Verum Ultimum Gallery, 2017, Portland, Oregon
- The 5th Annual Living Mark Exhibition: international juried group show, Verum Ultimum Gallery, 2018, Portland, Oregon,
- N.W. Marine Artworks Studios Open House: 2516 NW 29th, Portland, Oregon, July 21st, 2018, 75 artists showcase their work along with food carts, live music and dance, a gala event!
- Six Artistic Voyages, Canvas, Paper and Clay: group show, Golden Gallery, Beaverton, Oregon, June-August, 2018
- A Sense of Wonder, solo exhibition depicting the exhilaration of life in landscape and figurative painting and drawing. Chehalem Cultural Center, Newberg, Oregon October 2018- January 5, 2019
- The Sixth Annual Living Mark Exhibition, juried international group show, Verum Ultimum Gallery, June- August 2019, Portland, Oregon
- Golden Gallery Invitational, group show, opening September 8, 2019 Portland, Oregon
- Northwest Marine Artworks Holiday Open House, Dec 8, 2019 11:00-4:00, 2516 NW 29th Portland, Oregon.
- Gallery 114, "With Bated Breath", juried invitational Gallery 114, NW Glisan Ave. Portland, Oregon. Dec.- Jan. 2020
- Creative Spirit Show of Fine Art and Craft: Westminster Cloisters, Portland, Oregon. Dec-Jan. 2020
- Corona Portrait Project: online exhibit of portraits created in response to the Covid 19 pandemic. coronaportraitproject.com The Corona Portrait Project is also located on Instagram. April, 2020
- The Seventh Annual Living Mark Exhibition, juried international group show, Verum Ultimum Gallery, Portland Oregon
- Looking Back/Looking Forward: group exhibition featuring works focusing on the topic of Covid 19 and how it impacts us, depicted in a variety of perspectives. Northwest Marine Artworks, 2516 NW 29th, Portland, Oregon. September-November, 2020
- Gallery 114, " Hindsight", juried international group show, January 7- January 30, 2021. Portland, Oregon
- Gallery 114, "These Truths", juried group non-members show, NW Glisan Ave. May, 2021 Portland, Oregon
- Ford Gallery of Art, Portland, Oregon
- Kay Danley's paintings and commissioned works reside in many private collections within the United States, Canada, and Germany.